"If you've done six impossible things this morning,
not round it off with breakfast at Milliways"
This guide owes a lot to the following
friends: Prof. Anselmo del
Moral (U. de Deusto) who teach me a lot about Rioja wines and Vasc
Cuisine, Prof. Manel Poch (U.de Girona) who is a gourmant with him I am
learning about Girona and its magnificent cuisine, Prof. Enrique Villa
(Instituto Politécnico de México) who keeps me informed
about tequilas and Mexican cuisine and, at last but not the least, Dr. Julian Padget (U.
who started his own list at his page from those restaurants that we
Other distinguish contributors are: Dr. Phil Burrell (SouthBank
U.), Prof. Antonio Gisolfi (U. di Salerno) who lives in paradise,
Dr. Ignasi R-Roda (U.de
Girona) and Dr. Isaac
Rudomín (ITESM). Herbert Ten Thij and Prof. Arno
Siebes showed me some magnificent places in The Nedeerlands.
Lately, Dr. Antonio López-Navidad (HSCSP) is contributing in a
very intensive and constructive maner to this list.
From September 2004 I will include
other restaurants that I visited
with no further information as I have no opinion about them. During the
summer of 2006 I opened a
up-date and complement this page.
This is a nice document created
Ferndo Orejas who is a well-known gourmet
Still, I'm waiting to visit Milliways,
the Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
Note: This information was accurate when
it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all
rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your
[ A | B
| C | F|
G | I | M | P | S | T | U ]
- Cabaña Las Lilas, Alicia Moreau de Justo,
516. C1107AAL- Buenos Aires. Tel +4313 1336. Their speciality is baby
beef. Snobish and expensive. Puerto Madero is an interesting area of
development. This a brazilian restaurant. Las Lilas
- La Chacra, Av. Cordoba 941. Buenos Aires 1054. Tel. +
349-4581. Beef!!!. Try Tenderloin au gratin with mozzarella. The
Argentinian wines are splendid. La
- El Sanjuanino, Posadas 1515. Recoleta. Buenos Aires. Tel
+ 4805 2683. Very interesting traditional cuisine. You have to try Locro
and Pollo a la piedra. Also Bife de Chorizo. It is not
expensive. I recommend the house wine.
- Carmen, Rue des deux Eglisees. Portugaise. A fine contribution by Mercé Griera.
- En face de parachute, Chaussée de Waterloo 578. Bruxelles 1050. Tel
32 2 3464741. A delicious corner to enjoy fashionable and exquiste
mediterranean style food. Wine list is short but very reasonable. NO credit
cards are accepted. Reservation is compulsory. Open from 12 to 14 and from 19
to 22. Closed on Monday and Sunday. I was there with Steven Willmott.
- La Kasbah, Rue A Dansaert 20. Bruxelles 1000. Tel + 32 2
5024026. A bit of Morocco in the middle of Brussels. A great Couscous and Tajin.
The cellar is correct with interesting Marrocan wines. A fine contribution by Mercé Griera.
I returned twice in 2006, still a must in town. See
Place Ste. Croix, 4 (Flagey). Bruxelles 1050. Tel + 32 2 6470436. Open 7/7
from 12:00 until 14:30 and 18:30 until 24:00. A contribution by Mercé Griera.
- Nöi, Chaussée de Charleroi 39. 1060 Brussels. Tel +32 2.537.44.47. Last Visit 2007
(See Carpe Diem)
- Restaurant Vincent, Rue des Dominicains 8-10. Bruxelles
1000. Tel +32 2 511.2303. Classical belgium cusine.
- Caprice de Filles, Galerie de la Reine, 29. Bruxelles
1000. Tel + 32 2 5022242. A small and nice place to enjoy good food and deserts. Pasta is a must. Coffee and Chocolat.
Caprice de Filles
- El Nuevo Galeón, Av. Juan Muñoz Reyes
1210. Calcoto. La Paz 12468. Tel 792536. Very expensive and fancy
place. Fish and seafood, outstanding.
- Astrid & Gastón, Antonio Bellet 2001. Providencia. Santiago de
Chile. Tel 56 2 6509125. A very fancy and delightful place. The peruvian
cusine style is just delicious. They offer a magnificent tuna fish fromo
Pascua Island.. This is contribution from Helena Martínez. Reservations are
- Confitería Torres, Alameda 1570. Santiago de Chile. Tel + 56 2
6880751. Traditional chilean cusine.
Confitería Torres. This is a contribution by Ricardo Neira.
- Como agua para chocolate, Constitución 88,
Santiago de Chile. Tel. + 56 2 777-8740. Mexican food of high quality and very
interesting decoration. This a contribution by Helena Martínez.
- El Perseguidor, Antonia López de Bello
0126. Providencia. Santiago de Chile. Tel + 56 2 7776763. A charming Jazz club
with an excellent cuisine and a magnificent cellar. Live music. I
recommend to reserve in advance. You can write them.
This is a contribution by Ricardo Neira.
- La Chimenea, Príncipe de Gales 90. Santiago
Centro. Santiago. Tel + 56 2 6970131. This a cultural centre with a
nice ambiance for dinner and drinks. It is worth to pay a visit. La chiminea.
- Zully, Concha y Toro 34. Santiago de Chile. Tel + 56 2 696 1378.
In an old restored house this is one of the most exciting discoveries of this
year (2005). It has a very short menu but tasteful. The wine list is
appealing but in Chile I prefer Carmenère. The terrace is great to have a
drink. This is contribution by Helena Martínez. Monday-Friday
11am-midnight or later; Saturday 7pm-3am or later; Sunday for brunch 11am-3pm
November-March only. Reservations are recommended.
- Bellevue, Smetanovo nábrezi 18. Praha 1 -
11000. Tel + 420 22144354. A magnificent restaurant. Sunday's Brunch
is a must. Some nites they have live jazz sessions. Make your
- King Solomon, Siroká 8. Praha 1 - 11000.
Tel + 420 224818752. A strict kosher restaurant. Quite expensive but
very good. Nice wines and first quality materials. King Solomon
- U Cerveného Kola, Anezská, 2. Praha 1 -
11000. Tel. +420 2481118. Steak specialities. We had Roasted Duck, very
good. with nice moravia's wine. It is a quiet restaurant. Reservations
- U Fleku, Křemencova 11. Praha -11000.
+ 420 24915118. A splendid beerhouse founded in 1499. Traditional beer
- U Modré Ruze , Rytíská, 16. Praha
1 - 11000. Tel. +420 24222623 Fancy and expensive. High quality. The
stuffed goose breast is one of their specialities. Venison is very
interesting. Nice selection of local wines. Live music. U Modré Ruze
- Café Strindberg,Pohjoisespa 33. 00100 Helsinki.
Tel +358 65 22 62. The most traditional café in town.
- Lappi Ravintola, Annankatu 22. 00100 Helsinki. Tel +358
9 645550. Traditional Lapland cusine. You have to try their magnificent
- Mecca, Korkeavourekatu 34. 00130 Helsinki. Tel + 358 9 13456200. A
modern lounge. Food is exotic and provocative. Nice cocktails.
- Sali, Pohjoisespa 2. 00130 Helsinki. Tel +358 9
68111310. Open every day has one of the best bars in town. The food is
If you are in Helsinki is a must. Sali
- Saslik, Neisytpolku 12. 00140 Helsinki. Tel. + 358 9 170
544. Taste of Russian specialities. They bear specialties.
- Savoy, Eteläesplanadi. 00130 Helsinki. Tel
+ 358 9 176-571. In 1937 Alvar Aalto, designed every detail of the
place, even the lighting fixtures. It is a must when you are in
I recommend the Marskin Ryyppy (a schnapps made with vodka, aquavit,
vermouth, and dry gin, stirred together and served icy cold), and
a stew concocted from minced beef, lamb, and Baltic herring that is
for 2 days and served with baked potatoes and sour cream. The celler is
very impressive. I was here again in 2006 and found it very expensive.
- Walhalla, Kustaanmiekka Island, Suomenlinna. Tel +358 9
668-552. Open only in summer. Traditional Finnish specialties, a good
celler. The atmosphere invites to stay. I remember salmon soup and
fried snow grouse.
- Le Nord, 18, rue Neuve. Lyon. Tel + 33 0472106969. This
is one of those magnificent ideas of Paul Bocusse. At Le Nord
you can try the most traditional french cuisine. The place is always
crowded. Make your reservation.
- Le Sud, 11, place A. Poncet. Lyon. Tel + 33 0472778000.
This is another of those magnificent ideas of Paul Bocusse. At Le
Sud you can try the most sophisticated Mediterranean cuisine. Tajin
and Couscous are just unforgetable. I was there for lunch. Helena Martínez paid
a visit in 2006
- Le Petit Châtelet. 39, Rue de Bûcherie,
Paris Ve. Tel + 33 01 46335340. This one of the surprises of
2001. Just next door of the world famous Shakespeare & Co. This
restaurant has a splendid menu and a perfect cellar. They have also
recommendations. Cheese is a must. Prices are just reasonable. A
magnificent contribution of Eric Auriol.
- Le Bon Vivre, 15 bis, Place Wilson. Toulouse 31000. Tel.
+ 33 05 61230717. Well located. The food is magnificent and the wine is
reasonable. Traditional recipies.
- Le Panoramic, 40, Av. de la gare. 39200 Saint-Claude.
Tel +. 33 384456976. It is not easy to find Saint-Claude (Jura). Use
to have one Michelin star. But if you are around try Le Panoramic
you will love it.
- Libanon, Berger Strasse 19-21 Tel 02 11/134917. The
original lebanese specialities. Try their menu specialities. The wine
is very expensive.
- Alcatraz, Neue Schönhauser Strasse 20. Tel (030) 27
596790. The real mexican cuisine. Tacos and Fajitas are the just
perfect. Good mexican beer (forget about Coronita). Alcatraz
- La Rustica, Kleine Präsidentestr 4, 10178,
Berlin. Tel (030) 2189179. A nice Pizzeria and Vineria. Good quality
and nice ambiance. It is not just another pizzeria in Berlin.
- Nipoon Kan, . Visited twice in 2006.
- Sekitei, Jl. Brawijaya Raya No. 26, Kebayoran Baru, Jakarta 12160.
Tel. +61 21 - 725 8181. A splendid Japanese restaurant. We tried a Shabu-Shabu
a traditional do-it yourself soup. Visited in 2006.
- Jonnie Fox's, Glencullen, Co. Dublin. Tel 2955647.
Seafood kitchen. Nice beers. Nice atmosphere. I tried the interesting
Home-made Mountain Chowder and Salmon. Fox
Antico Noe'. Volta di San Piero 6/4. 50122 Firenze. Tel + 390552340838. This very small and original Osteria offers a selection of traditional food (il mangiare di una volta). Portions are large and very interesting. For example, an exquisite salad of Mozzarella with white truffle and jam. The list of wine is complete and interesting. Make your reservation as the place get full easily. Next door they offer a great selection of Panini. Last visited December 2006.
Mastrociliegia. Via M. Palmieri 30/R. 50122 Firenze, Tel +39055293372. This pizzeria and ristorante offer traditional dishes. It is very close to the turistic circuits but keeps a local flavour. We tried a pasta dish called Capello served with asparragus, gorgonzola and white truffle. They have a wooden oven for pizza.
Last visited December 2006.
Gustavino. Via de la Condotta 37/R. 50100 Firenze. Tel +39 055239806. A taste of italian nouvelle cusine. They present themselve as: Enoteca con cucina. They have their own wines --very good ones-- portions are small but it worth trying the combinations. Presentation is perfect. The place combines modernity and tradition. You can find them at Gustavino.
Last visited December 2006.
Riva del Garda
Al Volt, Via Fiume 75, Riva del Garda (TN). Tel + 39 0464552570. I tried a menu based on fish from the lake. Tradicional Italian cuisine with some interesting innovations. If you are in the area deserves the visit. Last visit August 2006.
- Al Ponte della Ranocchia, Circ.ne Appia 29. 00179 Roma. Tel + 39 06
7856712. This is classic osteria. I have been there several times always good market food. Unexpensive. Closed on Sundays. A contibution by R. Annicchiarico. I returned on June 2007 they have a new manager.
- 'Gusto, Piazza Augusto Imperatore, 9. Roma 00186. Tel + 39 06 3226273. Restaurant, Pizzeria, Eine Bar. A gastronomic emporium in the middle of the city. I have been there several times for lunch, last time during the spring of 2007. They have now three diiferent places in the same Piazza.
- Ristorante Andrea, Via Sardegna, 24/26/28. Tel +39 06 4821891. Roma
- Ristorante Pepero, Via Don Orione 9/11. Roma 00183. Tel + 39 06
7016427 and + 39 348 3650360 (CellPhone). This a Sicilian traditional
restaurant. Fish is a must in this place as well as their Spaghetti Norma
and Casarecce alla ferutana. For deserts
Cassata Siciliana is a must. Make your reservation. Open
only by dinner and sundays also for lunch. A contribution from R.
- Ristorante Piperno, Monte De'Cenci, 9. Roma 00816. Tel +
39 06681113. In a charming corner of the roman ghetto this traditional
restaurant is a clear expresion of tradition, good cooking and
pleasure. A must here are their world famous artichokes jewish style.
The menu is short but complete. Good wine selection. As a dessert try palle
di nono, it is unique. A Fabio Campana's contribution. Piperno
- Toto alle carrozze, Via delle Carrozze, 10. Roma
00187. Tel +39 06 678558. Traditional italian cuisine with some
interesting research and innovation. It is well located. Helena Martinez's
- Antica Locanda lo Specchio di Diana, Corso Vittorio Emanuele, 13
Nemi Roma. Tel + 39 06 9368805. Traditional italian cuisine with magnificent
views. It deserves the tour. A Fabio Campana's contribution.
- Giardiniello , C. so V. Emanuele, 17. Minori 84010. Tel +
39 089 877050. Fish, Fish and Pasta. The house speciality is marinare.
Closed on Wensday
- Trattoria da Ciccio. Cielo -Mare -Terra, Via nazionale
per Sorrento-Amalfi. Tel + 39 089 831265. An outstanding location. The
food is marvelous.
- Vecchia Trattoria Della Pesa, via Carlo Cattaneo, 14.
Varese. Tel + 39 0332287070.
- Osteria del Bugiardo. C.so Porta
Borsari 17/A. Verona. Tel +39 054591869. A very interesting place with a very
simple but effective formula: good materials (food and wine), nice
combinations (small portions), good service. I had burrata and
parma ham with a Valpolicella. Sweet onions with cheese.
Lai Po Heen,
Mandarin Oriental, Kuala Lumpur City Center. P.O. 50088. Malaysia. Tel + 603
2179 8885. Classic Cantonese cuisine with seafood and dim sum specialities.
The set menu a choice for the first time. Stir
fried venison with crispy dough fritters and water chestnuts, just memorable
Last visit August 2006.
Naab, 130, Jalan Bukit Bintag. 55100 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Tel
+603 21433949. Iranian Cusine. Very interesting place. We tried several
interesting dishes as Dolma, Okra stew with meat and Ghorme Sabzi Stew. Prices
are very reasonable. No wines but they serve Dough, fresh yougurth with water
plus mint. Naab. Visited in 2006.
- Al-Mounia, 95, Rue du Prince Moulay-Abdallah. Tel.
2226-69 Moghrebi cuisine. It is outstanding. I tried also their house
- GAIA Boulevard
Benito Juárez 102. Centro. Cuernavaca, Mor. México
62000. Tel + 525 (7) 3123656. Near by Palacio de Cortés in the
center of the city. Is a must in town. Actual Mexican food with
Mediterranean flavors. GAIA.
- Las Mañanitas Ricardo Linares 107; Cuernavaca,
Mor. México C.P. 62000. Tel. +525 (7) 314 14 66 and
+525 (7) 312 46 46. Fax: +525 7 318 36 72.
Founded in 1955 is a tradition in Mexico for relaxing and have good
food. You can have your apperitive in its magnificent garden and and
try their mexican specialities as Tortilla Soup or the Curry Shrimp. It
deserves a trip to Cuernavaca. Just Try it. Las Mañanitas.
- Los Almendros Av. Campos Elíseos 164, Col.
Polanco. Tel + 52 5531-6646. Yucatán traditional dishes, such as
a refreshing lime soup or frijol con puerco (tender pork pieces with
black beans), Especially worth trying is the pescado tikinxic
white fish in a mild red marinade of achiote seed and juice of
orange. I like their mango flambe à la Tequila.
- Café del Bosque, 2a sección del Bosque de
Chapultepec (lago menor). Tel + 52 55164214. In very splendid
environment they have a magnificent service.
- Cicero-Centenario, Londres 195. Col Juarez. Zona Rosa.
México 06600. Tel + 52 55256530. Mexican food and tequila.
A little bit too noisy. Food is correct and prices are reasonable.
Without reservation is an adventure.
- Cúcara Macara, Mexico City Airport. This cantina now belongs to La Mansión. This is my favorite place to have the last tequila before leaving México. The meat is a specialty, excellent tequilas --we had Los Cazadores reserva-- and alos we had one the most appreciated Mexican delicacies: escamloles. (See Carpe Diem). Last visit August 2007.
- La Casa de los Cantaros, c/Plateros 27 Tel. + 52
55988894. Traditional mexican food. Chiles poblanos are just
magnificent (only in season). They have fresh fish (try Huachinago à
la Parroquia). Tequila is religion in México and here they
have a very impressive list. Fancy and expensive but you have to try.
- Casa de la Sirena c/Guatemala 32, Zócalo. Tel +
525704-3225. The atmospheric second-floor dining terrace is one of its
major attractives but food is very interesting. Try their apetizer molcajete
and their Mango Mole. Tequilas are good and not very
- El Bajío. c/Alejandro Dumas 7. Colonia Polanco. Tel +525552818245. México D.F. This one of the new locations of a very famous and claimed Mexican Restaurant. I tried the Empanadas de plátano y frijol, Quesadillas and Mole. Just superb, like in the old times. The experience brought back to me the flavours of my childhood. Prices are correct. This is a contribution by Isaac Rudomin. It is a MUST.
- El discreto encanto de comer, c/Orizaba 76. Col
. Roma. México 06700. Tel. +52 5113860. A contribution by
Enrique Villa. It is a nice house with nice ambiance and good food.
- La Galvia , Campos Elíseos 247. Col. Polanco
11500. México, D.F. Tel.: + 52 52812310. A top dining address
in Isaac's agenda. A short but select menu. I tried the black-bean soup
with nopalitos. Entrees include salmon in soy sauce and róbalo
(bass) in three-chile sauce. They claim that menu changes every 3
It is located immediately behind the Hotel Presidente Inter-Continental.
- Litoral, Tamaulipas 55. Col. Condesa, 06100.
México D.F. Tel +52 52862025. Surprising. The salmon on Oaxaca's
black mole is outstanding. U2 shrimps. They a very reasonable list of
mexican wines served by el
club del vino at good prices. I was there with Claudia Gonzalez. See update.
- Los Panchos, c/Tolstoi 9, Col Anzures. Tel + 52
52542082. Traditional mexican food. Tacos and Quesadillas are superb.
A nice selection of premium Tequilas. I know the place for more than
30 years. A secure value in quality.
- La Poblanita, c/Luis G. Vieyra Esq. Av. Jalisco. Tel +52
52731915. A traditional restaurant do not expect a fancy place. Here Mole
is the recommendation an almost only dish in all its varities. Try chalupas
are a classic.
- El Renacimiento, Puesto 13. Mercado de San Antonio.
Texcoco. The owner is Rubén Espinoza. If you like to try the real
Barbacoa, mixiotes and pancita traditional style. I was
there with Heriberto López.
- Salute! Prado Norte 125. Col. Lomas de Chapultepec,
11000 México, D.F. A Multicultural place. Good pasta. I
was there with my brother. He is a regular. Salute!
- Villa Maria, Homero, 704. Col. Polanco 11550.
México. D.F. Tel +52 52506932. New mexican cuisine. Very
imaginative interpretation of traditional dishes. Steak à la
Tequila is very interesting. I was there again in April 2005. You
can mail them: Villa
Plaza Manuel Tolsá. Calle Tacuba 8 y 10. Centro
Histórico. Tel + 52 55100630. This restaurant created a style of new mexican cuisine. They kept the same menu with very small variations but it is a secure value. Mexican snacks are very reasonable. La
sopa de Cilantro (cilantro soup)
by Susana Palazuelos is among my favourite dishes. The environment is also magnificent. In season try chapulines (grashopers). Bad reports from Julian
Padget (January 2005)
Nuevo León 68. Col. Condesa, 06100.
México D.F. Tel + 52 52866268. New, modern and stylish. In small house remodelled by Francisco Serrano. They offer a nice equillibrum between modern and traditional mexican food. The Huachinango in Chipotle's cream is outstanding. Not expensive. The wine list is short. Be sure that you book at the Restaurant and not the at Bar!Recommended by Claudia Gonzalez.
Bad reports from Julian
Padget (January 2005)
Av. Presidente Mazaryk 393, Col. Polanco.
11550. México D.F. Tel.: + 52 52822656. This is a contribution
by Isaac Rudomín. The menu features specialties from some of the country's best Mexican cooks. For example, there is Marta Chapa's breaded shrimp with sesame, lettuce, herbs, and chiles; cilantro soup
Palazuelos; and Patricia Quintana's fillet in butter and salsa. The restaurant is near the corner of Lafontaine street. I was there
recently (January 2005) and it had change a lot. Noisy. Bad reports from Helena Martínez
- Café des artistes c/Guadalupe Sánchez 740,
Puerto Vallarta, México Tel + 52 322 23228. Puerto Vallarta's
most chic and expensive dining spot. A simbiotic cuisine: cream of
prawn and pumpkin soup.
- Atira-te A o Rio, Cais Ginjal 69/70. Cacilhas. Almada Tel +
2122751380. International cusine. It offers a magnificent view of Lisbon, it
is in the bank. It closes on Tuesday.
- Restaurante Ponto Final, Cais Ginjal 53. Cacilhas. Almada. A place
to enjoy a long afternoon having a bottle of wine and then dinner. We prefer
the terrace. I was there again in April 2006
- Papo d'Anjo, Largo de S.
Paulo 1-3. 4700 Braga. Tel + 53
22603. Brazilian new cuisine. Just amaizing. Nice drinks.
- Alfaia, Travessa da Queimada, 22. 1200 Lisboa. Tel + 213461232. A
classic in Barrio Alto. It is small. Make your reservation. A nice section of
local chesse. This a contribution by Rita. Visited in 2005
- Cervejaria do Trinidade, Rua Nova da Trinidade, 20 C. 1200 Lisboa.
Tel + 21 3423506. Opened in 1836. The beer, food and the building are splendid.
It is worth to visit.
- Pavillao Chinês, Rua D. Pedro V, 89. 1200
Lisboa. Tel + 213424729. It is the place to hide away and have a drink
in quiet and charmant atmosphere. The barman is an artist. A must.
- Tasca do Manel, Rua da Barroca, 24. 1200 Lisboa. Tel.
3643813. Traditional Portuguise Cuisine in the middle of the Barrio
Alto. It is a small place. Thier selection of Alentejo and Port wines
is outstanding. Visited in 2005
- Indochine, 1 Empress Palace. Asian Civilisations Museum. Singapore
179555. Tel +65 6339 1720. In the Waterfront of the sian Civilisations Museum.
Fusion. Visited in 2006.
- Exte Zahara (Casa vieja), c/Txikita, 6. Vitoria.
Tel. + 34 954146565. Just in the middle of the old city.
- El Bodegón (Casa Rogelio), Travesía de
Santa Engracia, 3. 01300 Laguardia. Tel. + 34 941 60 0793. casa rogelio
- ABAC, c/Rec 79-79,
Barcelona 08003. Tel: + 34 933196600. Xavier Pellicer's cuisine is
innovative and refreshing. It desreves a visit. The Taster's Menu is
large but agile. The table of chesse is correct. Deserts are a must.
Wines are expensive but the conservation and teperature areoptimum.
Reservations are essential. I was there with Manel Poch.
- ACONTRALUZ, c/ Milanesado 19, Barcelona 08017. Tel: +
34 93203 06 58. Catalan new cuisine. It has a varied menu ranging from
game in season, such as rable de liebre (stewed hare) with
chutney, to the more northern pochas con almejas (beans with clams). The menu of this summer (2001) is quite spectacular. Desserts are not so spectacular. The lunch menu is a bargain. In spring and summer time the terrace is perfect. I am a regular. Last time visited May 2007.
c/Indústria, 79. 08025 Barcelona. Tel + 34 932076 115. Attracted
by the Michelin's start we visited Jordi Vilà's
restaurant. They have two taster menus. We tried the shortest and it
resulted in a very interesting challenge. I really like the
personaliztion of it. The rythm was good. The list of wines is not very
large and a bit expensive. It is a narrow and small room, noisy. A
contribution by Joaquim Comas.
- Anfiteatro, Av. Litoral, s/n. Port Olímpic.
08005 Barcelona. Tel + 34 659695345. Sophisticated cuisine. The taster
menu is a good first trial. The wine is expensive. The location is
- Arola, Hotel Arts. c/Marina 19-21, Bareclona 08005.
Tel + 934838090. Sergi Arola is now offering his cuisine in
Barcelona. The Menu is short BUT extraordinay. Quality and price
are in perfect consonance. The taster's menu is 45€. I found wines very
expensive but the selection unique. They have an extraordinaty Terrace.
You should reserve. They have chill music and I found it noisy.
This a contribution by Helena. Give it a try. Arola.
- Attic, c/ La Rambla 120. Barcelona Tel + 34 933 024 866.
Just in Las Ramblas has a very innovative and tasty cusine. Prices are
acceptable for Barcelona. I love the dayly selection called La
Boqueria. Make your reservation. Last time visited April 2007.
- Bestial, c/Ramón Trias Farga 2-4. Barcelona
08005. Tel + 34 932240407. A new place to discover in at seaside in
Vila Olimpica. A very refreshing cook: Pasta and Fish. It is a perfect
place for a summer nite. Ask for a table in Terrace. Bestial. Last time visited May 2007.
- Cal L'Isidre, c/Les Flors 12. Barcelona 08001. Tel.+
34 934411139. It is an elegant and small place. They keep on making
traditional Catalan cusine but eager to introduce some fancy dishes.
They have first quality materials and an elegant presentation. The wine
is very expensive as the deserts are. Booking is essential. I
waas here with M. Poch and I. R.-Roda.
- Can Gaig, Passeig Maragall, 402. Barcelona. Tel
+34 934291017. In Horta. Founded in 1869. It is elegant and quiet. An
unforgettable experience. Menú de degustación
(taster's menu), with 6 courses and two desserts (ca. ESP 7000). In
mushrooms are the key in this corner of paradise. Their wine's celler
magnificient. They have a very efficient paking service. You can mail Gaig . Reopened in October 2004 in a new midtown location. Carrer d'Aragó 214, Barcelona. Also, telephones had change Tel + 34934291017.
- Carballeira , c/Reina Cristina, 3. 08003 Barcelona.
Tel. + 34 933101006. It is expensive but the materials are of first
class. Fish and seafood directly from Galicia. Is a must.
- Casa Leopoldo, c/Sant
Rafael, 24. 08001 Barcelona. Tel + 34 934413014. With a long
tradition of good food and getting expensive. It is a little too much
noisy. Avoid the groups' dinning room. Wines are expensive. Visit their
- Casa Rita, Avinguda Aragón 279. - about halfway
up Passeig de Gracia on the right, probably before you reach the dragon
house (on the left). Tel + 34 934872376. Barcelona 08007. "Market"
food (eg. calves' cheek stew). Very reasonable but good quality, with
wine at almost the same price as in the supermarket. There is no
reservations and you will find the place for queue outside. They have
other restaurants in Barcelona
- Les Quinze Nits, Plaça Reial 6. Tel + 34
933173075. Barcelona 08002. This was the first we tried. The location
- La Dolça Herminia, c/Magdalenas 27. Tel + 34
93 3170676. Barcelona 08002.
- L'Hostalet de la Mamasita, Avinguda de Sarria, 10.
Tel + 34 933219296. Barcelona 08028.
- Cuines Santa Caterina. Av. Francesc Cambó, 20 , Mercado de Santa Caterina. Barcelona. + 34932689918. I was there with Manel Poch, Antonio López-Navidad, Steve Willmott and Helena Martínez (under her recommendation). The place has 4 kitchens that offer cusine of 4 diiferent styles: Asian, Mediterranean, Italian and vegetarian. This is this a nice idea as people can get a choice of his/her taste easily. The bad news is that the kitchens are not coordinated. Prices are still reasonable. The list of wines is not very large but enough. The offer nice magnums. I returned on June 2007.
- The decoration fits perfectly with the style. The serve nice portions (not tapas) at the bar. This belongs to the Tragaluz group
- El Jardí de l'Abadessa. c/Abadesa Olzet,
26. Tel + 34 93 2803754. Barcelona 08034.
- Els Merendero de la Mari, Plaça Pau Vila, 1.
Port Vell. Barcelona 080039. Tel. + 34 932213141. I has been there 5
times in the last 5 months. Specializing in seafood and whatever is
fresh from the market. With a terrace overlooking the harbour (a
magnificent view over the Maremagnum). Last time visited March 2007.
- Els Pescadors , Plaça Prim, 1. El Poblenou.
Tel +34 932252018. Barcelona 08005. An old fishermen restaurant. Good
quality and a good catalan cuisine. During summer dinner time is
recommended. Last visit May 2006.
- Estrella de Plata, Pla del Palau, 9. Barcelona 08003.
Tel + 34 933196007. If you like sophisticated tapas this is the
place you are looking for. In the nite they always full. Very expensive. You can mail Estrella de Plata .
c/Passeig de Gracia, 116. Barcelona 08008. Tel + 34 932384846. An
outstanding collection of spanish specialities with an international
flavour. Rices are specially interesting. The place is very
comfortable. I prefer in the basement. Good beer. Wines a little
overpriced but now they offer a selection at very reasonable price. They have a
Sushi bar You can visit their webpage. You can mail Fernandez. This is a
contribution by Alfredo Villar. Last visit October 2006. (See
- Fonda Senyor Parellada, c/ Argentería,37.
Barcelona. Tel +34 933105094. In the neighbourhood of Santa Maria del
Mar. It is a wise selection to try traditional Catalan cuisine. Very
reasonable prices. They offer 1/2 portions of some dishes.
Noude la rambla 22. 08001 Barcelona. Tel +34 933180840. A Chill-out lounge
with restaurant. The food is irregular but I have a positive opinion. I had
a very nice strawberry gazpacho and a black rice. The wine list is short but
in the right price. The music and ambiance is chil-out. A lot of young
people around. It deserves the try. Last visit 2006.
- Indigo, Passeig Taulat, 262-264.
08019. Barcelona Tel +34 93507000. A new place in town. They have a set menu
30€ and magnificient terrace. The list of wine is interesting, including
entries from new producers but very expensive. The service was perfect. We
were there to try Indian food, there it was a taster menu, but it was
dissapointing. Visited September 2006.
- Inopia Classic Bar, Tamarit 104, Barcelona. Tel + 34 93 4245231.
In the left-hand side of L'Eixample. It is newest tapas bar in town. With a
classic flavour and the Ferrà Adrià's advice make of this place a must-in-town.
Try the house wine (3€). I have been twice in the last 3 months (2006). See
- Jean Luc Figueras, c/ Santa Teresa 10, Barcelona
08012. Just above and to the right of where Diagonal intersects Passeig
de Gracia. The house was once Cristóbal Balenciaga's studio.
Tel: + 34 93415 28 77. Fax: + 34 93218 92 62. Two Michelin stars.
Unforgettable Catalan cuisine with a French accent. Menú de
degustación (taster's menu), ca. ESP 8950. The taster's menu
is very large (ie. 8
courses). I prefer their tradidional cuisine.
- La Balsa , Infanta Isabel 4. Barcelona 08022. Tel +
34 93 2111056. The building itself is a pleasure. Food is correct
in a magnificent ambiance. Expensive. Make your reservation in well in
advance. I returned in 2006 with Manel Poch.
- La Caixa del Gourmet,
Passatge de la Virreina, 2A. Mercat de la Boqueria. Barcelona 08001.
Tel/Fax +34 932703819. A french corner in the middle of Boqueria.
Good wine and food. Has a lot of personality. Small. In 2006 they change
location but still in the same square.
- La Conca, c/Lepanto 297. Barcelona 08025. Tel. +34 933480393. Traditional food. Small. Last visited March 2007.
- La Dorada, c/ Moll de Gregal 20/21. Barcelona 08005.
Tel. +34 932210066. In the Olimpic Port. Fish.
- Little Italy, c/Rec 30. Barcelona 08003. Tel.+ 34 93 3197973. Mediterranean cuisine. A short but well selected cellar. Deserts are good. At nights they have live Music (Jazz). I prefer the main floor. They have a set menu at midday. Last Visit June 2007.
- La Provença, c/Provença 242. Barcelona
08008. Tel + 34 93 3232367. Nice ambiance, good cuisine. It deserves to
- Lungomare, c/ de la Marina 16-18. Barcelona 08005.
Tel: + 34 93 221 0428. With a superb view over the Olimpic port they
offer traditional Italian cuisine but also they offer a very innovative
italian cuisine. Pizza is good.
- Merendero de la Mari, Plaça Pau Vila 1. Barcelona 08039 Tel + 932213141. A nice location with a splendid fish cuisine. Good Service. Specially, remarkable during spring. Last visit April 2007.
- Mey Hofmann, c/Argenteria (Platería) 74-78,
Barcelona 08003. Tel+ 34 93319 58 82/89. Fax: + 34 93319 58 89.
Restaurant attached to a cookery school. Specialize in architectural
you have to order them at the same time as your first and second course
to allow preparation time.
- Neichel, Beltrán i Rózpide 16 bis.
Barcelona 08034. Tel + 34 93 2038408. It has one Michelin star. Menú
de degustación, from 60 €. I returned with Manel Poch in 2006.
- Negro, Av. Diagonal, 640. Edifici Caja Madrid. Barcelona 08017. Tel + 34 934059444. Mediterranenan food. Stylish. In 2006 I visted the japanese restaurant at the basement. I returned on June 2007 with Marc Torrens.
- Neri, Sant Sever, 5. Barcelona 08002. Tel + 34 933040655. I strongly recommend the Taster's menu. The bar is splendid in spring. Last visit on April 2007.
- Passadis del Pep, Pla del Palau, 2. Barcelona 09003.
Tel. + 34 93 3101021. They offer a formal menu but the best option is
to be recommended. First quality. Wines are expensive but you can try
the wine of the house.
- Peixerot, c/Tarragona 177. Barcelona 08014. Tel +
34 93 4246969. The original restaurant is in Vilanova i la
Geltrú. This cannot reproduce the location BUT the food is very
good. Basically, good rice and first quality fish and shell-fish. Quite
bussy during week-end. Make your reservation.
- Petit Paris, c/ Paris 196. Barcelona 08036. Tel
+ 34 932182678. - just below Diagonal about 500 metres or more from
the junction with Passeig de Gracia. Small - booking is essential -
and of a high standard.
- Pòsit, Ramon Trías Farga, 2. Barcelona
08005. Tel + 34 93 2240088. At the Beach is quite hard to find. Very
good rice, portions are generous, and a very good fish. A very large
wine's menu. Comfortable. Good service. Be sure to reserve before you
You can also e-mail
them. I still prefering their other restaurant El pòsit
d'Arenys at Arenys de mar. Zona Port s/n 080350. Tel +34 937922471.
- Quatre Barres, c/ Quintana 6.Barcelona 08002. Hard to
find. I always go from Plaza Real out of the top right hand corner (ie.
away from the sea) and it's on the left hand side in the second or
third block, between Ferran and Boqueria. Tel: + 34 93302 50 60. No
reservations, no credit cards and only one sitting. Classic catalan.
- Ravell, Aragó, 313. Barcelona 08009. Tel + 34 934575114. A small place (10 seats) in a single table. They prepare dishes and serve wine. Just try it. Sorry, they do not accept reservations. I was there last time with Mateo Valero and Francesc Subirada on April 2007. http://www.ravell.com
- 7 Portes, Passeig de Isabel II 14, Barcelona 08003.
Tel: + 34 93319 30 33/319 29 50. Fax: + 34 93319 30 46. Classic and
stylish catalan. They offer 11 types of paella. Noted for their arroz
negro. The house wine is reasonable.
- Suquet de l'Almirall, Passeig Joan de Borbó,
65. Barceloneta. Barcelona 08003. Tel: +34 932216233. A fishermen
restaurant. A magnificent selection of wines. They have several Menú
de degustación, from ESP 6000. It is recommended to book
in adavance. Good for group dinners.
- Taktika Berri, c, Valencia 169, 08011 Barcelona. Tel +
34 934534759. This is the Catedral of pinchos in Barcelona. Their Txakoli is good. Small dinning room with a splendid traditional Basque Cuisne prepared by Julián Fernández Mendiburu. A must in Barcelona. You should reserve in advance. I was there on June 2007.
TapaÇ24, c/Diputació 269.
Barcelona 08007. Tel +34 934880977. Created bu Carles Abellan after the
success of his Comerç24. The most
interesting was patatas amb wasabi.
This local follows the same aesthetics as Inopia (and prices). (see
Passeig de Manuel Girona, 7 -21. Barcelona 08034. Tel. +34
126.96.36.199. Market and seasonal cusine. Nice and interesting. Good
- Tiró Mimet Sant Màrius, 22. Barcelona
08022. Tel + 34 932117766. Very interesting proposals. Recommended.
I was there with Alberto Ledesma and Isaac Rudomín.
- Tragaluz, c/ Concepció 10. Barcelona. Tel + 34
934870621. Modern and stylish. The quality is good. The wine list is
recommended, they always have Barón de Oña
(Rioja)c and Caus (Catalan). The space is perfect. Downstairs the bar is very comfortable. Good for group dinners at the attic. Last visit April 2007.
- Tram-tram, Major de Sarrià 145. At the village
of Sarrià. 08017 Barcelona. Tel + 34 932048518. It is one
of Barcelona's finest and most original culinary opportunities. Try the
menú de degustaciò (taster's menu). Among
other surprises you can have marinated tuna salad, cod medallions, and the venison filet mignons. Reservations are a good idea. In April 2005 we returned and it, like good wines, get better and better. Last visit 2007.
- Vivanda, Major de Sarrià 134 bxos. 08017
Barcelona. Tel + 34 932031918. Mediterranean new cuisine. Fresh and
- Yamadori, c/Aribau, 68. Barcelona. Tel + 34 934539264.
The first and (may be) best Japanese restaurant in town. Among other
facilities is has a Sushi bar. Japanese are among the most
common clients. It is an experience. It is expensive but it deserves
- Zure Etxea, c/ Jordi Girona Salgado 10, Barcelona
08034. Tel: + 34 93203 83 90. Fax:+ 34 93280 31 46. Basque. It is
pleasure to visit the place (be sure to have a reservation) there are
tables. Menú de degustación, from 40€. It is a must in this list. Last visited 2006.
- Ruccula, World Trade Center. Moll de Barcelona. Tel: +34 935088268. Try the midday menu. Make your reservation asking for a table by the window.
- Talaia Mar, c/ Marina 16, 080005 Barcelona (Port
Olimpíc). Tel: + 34 93221 90 90. Fax: + 34 93221 89 89. Julian
Padget wrote about it :Was stunning in September 1997 - as inspired,
if not more, than Jean Luc Figueras
. They offer 1/2 portions of
some dishes. It is recommended to book in adavance, specially for lunch
time. The new taster's menu combines old dishes with new creations
really spectacular. Wines are expensive. (2001).
- Bermeo, The restaurant of the Hotel Ercilla. A place
- Casa Victor Montes, Plaza Nueva 8. 48005 Bilbao. Tel:
+ 34 944155603. A classic in the seven streets in the old Bilbao. You
can have wine and banderillas that is perfect. Or have meal in
the restaurant. Wines are on the right price. casa Victor Montes
- Cubita Aixerrota, Ctra de la Galea. 48990 Getxo. Tel:+
34 94491 17 00. Fax:+34 94460 21 12. Classic Basque. Situated on
a headland overlooking the estuary of the Nervión to the north
- Jolastoki, Avenida de los Chopos, Esquina Leioako 24,
Neguri-Getxo. Tel:+ 34 94491 20 31. Fax: + 34 94491 20 06. Classic
Basque. They offer a magnificent service. I just love it. Beautiful
house with many rooms situated some way outside Bilbao. There appears
a metro station quite close by - probably called Neguri-Getxo.
- Los Tamarises, Playa de Ereaga. Algorta. Tel +34 94469
25 44. The cuisine is correct. Nice to have a vermouth before lunch.
- Kursaal jatetxea, Zurriola, 1 . Donostia 20002. Gipuzkoa. Tel + 34 943003162 Fax + 943003164. In a magnificent location. A renewed traditional basque cuisine. I was back in June 2007. Kursaal. See update.
- L'Aliança d'Anglès, c/ Jacint Verdaguer,
3. 17160 Anglès. Tel +34 972 420156. Not easy to find but
splendid. The Feliu brothers offer a nice repertoire of an
innovative cuisine. You can be confident on the suggestions the made.
Wines are expensive.
- Casa Anita, Cadaqués. Tel + 34 972 258417. Good
prices, good food (a very small list) and wine.
- Cipresaia , c/Blas Fournàs, 2 (Barri Vell).
Girona 17004. Tel +34 972 222449. Traditional catalan cuisine.
- El Bulli, Cala
17480 Roses. Tel: +34 972150457. An outstanding contribution by
Manel Poch. Thie place, the food, everything is magic at Bulli.We had
menu and it was one of the best dinners I ever had.
- El Celler de Can Roca, Carretera de Taialà, 40.
Girona. Tel + 34 972212157. No doubt. The best restaurant in the city
of Girona. Creative and imaginative. You can not go wrong with your
selection. A superb list of wines.
- Els Fogons de Can Llaudes, Prat de Sant Pere, 6. CP
17850 Besalú. Girona. Tel +34 972 590858. A very interesting
experience. I recommend the potato cream with ceps, truffles and bacon
or the orange sorbet with gin tonic scum. Make your reservation well
- Es Baluard, 17488 Cadaqués. Tel. + 34 972258183. The first floor facing the small bay is marvelous. The rice is good and fish is magnificent. They use their own olive oil. Try the wine of the house. No other secret but the best raw material and time to cook. Make your reservation. I was back on June 2007.
- Mar Plaça, Plaça Independència, 3.
Girona 17001. Tel +34 972 205962. An outstanding contribution by Manel
Poch and Ignasi Rodriguez-Roda. Imaginative and tasteful. The best
experience of 2003. Expensive. The list of wines is short.
- Massana, c/Bonastruc de Porta, 10. Girona 17001. Tel +
34 972 213820. I have been several times. Is the right place for slow
food. High quality.
- Pol Nord, c/Pedret, 120. Girona 17007. Tel + 34
972200927. Nouvelle cuisine with catalan style. The place is small.
- L'Odissea de l'Empordà, c/ del castell 6. 17468
Orriols. Girona Tel + 34 972 551718. One of the cathedrals of good
taste. To arrive take Highway A7, direction France, take exit 5. Make
- Tinars, Carretera de Llagostera a Santa Cristina
d'Aro, Km 25. Llagostera. Girona. Tel + 34 972 830626. The food
deserves the pilgrimage.
- El Mirador de Morayma, c/Pianista G. Carrillo, 2.
Albayzín, Granada. Tel + 34 958228290. Amazing old house
situated opposite the Alhambra (ie. the other side of the valley). Not
surprisingly, the view is wonderful. Various sized rooms are available
seating from 2 to 40! The bacallá and orange salad was not so
great, but the brains and bulls testicles omelette is very tasty.
- Mesón el Tamborilero, Carretera del
Rocío, 226 . Almonte 21780. Huelva. Hotel and Restaurant. It is
just surprising: an appropriate mixture of traditional and new
Andalusí cuisine. Just let the maître to recommend you.
They have local cava (sparkling wine) a curiosity.
- La Huerta, Avinguda Tortosa 13, Leida. Tel + 34
973245040. Typical Cuisine. The speciality are snails. Magnificent.
Prepare yourself for few hours of good food. A contribution by
Joan Manel Gimeno.
- Al-Mounia, Recoletos, 5. Madrid 28001. Tel +34
914350828. Moghrebi cuisine. It is outstanding. I tried also their
house in Casablanca.
54, Paseo de la Habana 3. 28036 Madrid. Tel +34 902141412.
Decoration is stylish and the food is correct, not expensive. The wine list
is correct in variety and prices. The service was correct. They have live
jazz at nights. They have a valet service. A recommendation by Helena
Martínez. Last visited 2006.
- Porto Rubaiyat. c/ Juan Ramón Jimenéz, 37. Madrid. Tel. +343591000.
A splendid place for eat and wine. Beef is a most in this place. Still, they have a very interesting list of dishes.
The wine cellar is just amazing more than 200 entries and the prices are just right.
The service is perfect. Make your reservation well in advance. This was a recommendation by Helena Martínez.
I visited, in July of 2000, Las Lilas, in Buenos Aires, this is owned by the same group.
(See Carpe Diem)
- Sobrino de Botín, c/ de Cuchilleros, 17.
Madrid. Tel +34 913664217. Founded in 1725 is the oldest restaurant
in the world.
- Lhardy, Carreta de San Jerónimo, 8. Madrid
28014. Tel +34 91 5213385. Near Puerta Del Sol. Lhardy is a
legend in Madrid since it opened in 1839. Specialties of the house
fish, pork and veal, tripe in a garlicky tomato-and-onion/wine sauce,
and cocido madrileño, the celebrated chickpea stew of
Madrid. Soufflé sorpresa (baked Alaska) is the dessert specialty.
Adolfo, Paseo marítimo Pablo Ruiz Picasso, 12. 29016 Málaga. Tel + 34
952 601914. A small place with an exquisit cuisine in the right place between
innovation and tradition. Make your reservation. Visited in june of 2006. A
contribution by Francisco Sandoval.
Antigua Venta San Antonio, Carretera A-357 Km32,5 Ardales,
Partido Arroyo de Cañás s/n 29566 Casarabonela (Málaga). This restaurant and
hotel. Far away from everything. If you have time and want to eat traditional
Andalucian food then it deserves the trip. I was there with Cristina Urdiales.
Visit their webstite.
- Escuela de Hostelería de Málaga, Finca La
Consula. 29140 Churriana, Málaga. Tel +34 952622562 ó +34
952436026. This a nice place to visit. The taster's menu is excellent.
The Cellar is short but correct. I have been there several times. Last in
spring 2006. This is a contribution by Francisco
Last visit October 2006.
Santiago de Compostela
- Carretas, Rúa das Carretas, 21. Santiago de
Compostela. Tel +34 981562939. Fish and see-food. Traditional. Good.
Visited in 2006.
- Los Limoneros, Los Naranjeros-Tacoronte. 38340. Tel
+34 922 636637. It is a miracle in the middle of nowhere. Fresh and
high quality Sea-food and fish. The wine list is something to remember.
Expensive. Make your reservation well-in-advance.
- Casa Vicent, C/Pintor Salvador Abril, 55.
Valencia 46005. Tel + 34 963955114. Sea food in its most outstanding
category. The raw material are first class and the presentation is just
perfect. They own a magnificent cellar and the wine prices are very
reasonable. Make your reservation well-in-advance. Casa Vicent
- Restaurante L'Estimat,
- La Sucursal, Guillén de Castro 118,
Valencia. Tel +34 963746665. Located at the IVAM. I have been twice
in 2006 with Manel Poch. I have great memories from this place. We had once
the set menu is just splendid (40€). The wine cellar is extraordinary. We
tried local wines that cover the expectations. Is a must in Valencia.
Stora Nygatan 24. 11127 Stockholm. Tel +08107622
Fredsgatan 12, 11152 Stockholm.
Tel: +0824 80 52 Fax: + 08 411 73 48. A restaurant to satisfy your
highest expectatives. 1 Michellin star. I was there with Bengt
Finnström. Make your reservation.
- Khun Song,
Rue Louis-de-Savoie 32-34. Morges
Ch-1110. Tel. + 41 21 8022620. A nice thai restaurant. I was there with
- La Petite Grappe,
Rue Cheneau-de-Bourg, 15. Lausanne
CH-1003. Tel. +41 21 3118414. Small & comfortable. Restaurant and
coffeebar on two floors, fresh market products, menu changes everyday.
My favourite in Lausanne for lunch time. You can mail them Il Grappolino d'Oro.
- Le Bleu Lézard,
Rue Enning 10. Lausanne
CH-1003. Tel. + 41 (0)21 321 38 30. "Brasserie" food in a relaxed
A place to have a beer and the paper in the afternoon. I was there for
the first time with Marc Torrens. They have a jazz club in the
Really good. Visit Le Bleu
Lézard here. You can mail them: Le Bleu Lézard
Ad Markers, 61-51/1 Soi Lang Suan Ploenchit Rd. Bangkok
10330. Thailand + 66 2 65201689. Restaurant and Pub. Live Music. Excellent Thai
food. Reasonable prices. Last visit October 2006
Pho, 25 Soi Chidlom,
Second Floor, Alma Link Building, Bangkok, 10330 Thailand. Tel + 66 2 2518900.
Hours: 11:00am - 2:00pm, 5:00pm - 10:00pm. I tried a very interesting
vietnamese sushi, a spicy seafood soup and dumplings with sea food, pork and
spicy food. Portions are small but with a magnificent presentation and come
with a side of herbs, bean sprouts, chili slivers and maybe sliced raw onions.
Visited in October 2006.
- Speciaal, Nieuwe Leliestraat 142. Amsterdam 1015
SX. Tel. 020 6249706. Try the rijsttafel rice table. Very
interesting. I was there with David Riaño.
en den Tijger ,
Amsterdam,. Tel 020 620-0994. The menu is based on three different rijsttafel,
with a profusion of meat, fish, and vegetable dishes varying in flavor
from coconut-milk sweetness to very hot. I was there with David
Moorvensedijk 2. 5674 XC Gerwen
(Gemeente Nuenen). Tel + 40 2831330. A magnificent recommendation by
Herbert Ten Thij.
Markt 4 5688AJ Oirschot. Tel + 499 551414. A
magnificent recommendation by Herbert Ten Thij.
K H de
Sutralaan 3. 5631 AA
Eindhoven. Post Address: Postbus 1701 5602 BS Eindhoven. Tel +40
2813663. A magnificent recommendation by Herbert Ten Thij.
- Bubbles, Schipol Airtport Gate C.
This an extraordinary Oyster Bar. Good quality, good prices. Last visit
- Tower Restaurant,
Museum of Scotland. Chambers Street. Edinburgh EHI IJF. Tel + 44 131 225
3003. A gourmet's paradise. I was there twice. I have Argyll rock oysters,
pickled vegetables, Tabasco, shallot vinegar and, Roast tea-smoked venison,
port soaked cherries, root vegetables. Both were remarkable. The cellar is
great. A reservation is compulsory. Visited in 2005.
des Amis du Vin,
11-14 Hanover Place. Covent
Garden. London WC2E 9JP. Tel. + 44 171 3793444. Stylish. Ramon
Sangüesa and myself had have nice lobster there.
- Cafe Pacifico, 5 Langley St. Coven Garden. London WC2. Tel +44 171 3797728.
Just to b the best Mexican Restaurant in Europe. Julian Padget visited (01/2001. Last visit 2006.
- Fox & Anchor ,
115 Charterhouse St., London EC1 . Tel + 44 0171 2534838. For British breakfast is the
best, nearby famous Smithfield meat market. The pub opened in 1898. The "Full
House" is a plate with at least eight items, including sausage,
bacon, kidneys, eggs, beans, black pudding, and a fried slice of bread, along
with unlimited tea, toast, and jam. You can finish with Black Velvet
(champagne with Guinness). Make your reservation. It opens at 07:00 AM
from Monday to Friday.
- Gordon´s wine bar,
47 Villiers Street, Strand,
WC2N 6NE. Tel + 44 020 79301408 .
- Khan's, 13-15 Westbourne Grove. London W2. Tel. + 44 0171 727 5420. Indian cusine. Opens everyday.
- Lahore. Original. Kebab House. 2 Umberston Street (off Commercial Road). London E1 1PY. Tel + 44 020 74819737. This a
takeaway where you can bring your own wine. The food is just like homemade. A contribution by Sanjay Modgil. Last visit 2006.
- Livebait, 43 The Cut,
London, SE1 8LF. Tel + 44 020 7928 7211. Excellent menu choices for the fish
and brilliant quality and presentation. The list of wines is correct.
Service is correct. A contribution Phillip Burrell. Last visit 2006.
- New Loon Fung, 42-44 Gerrard Street. London W1.
Tel + 44 01716232. Traditional chinese food. I try to go every time
I am in London.
- The Punjab Restaurant, 80 Neal Street. Covent Garden. London WC2H 9PA. Tel + 44 020 78369787. A must in London. Try
their Anari Gosht Pomegranate flavour lamb and the Mango Lashi. A traditional restaurant.
Open 7 days. Make your reservation. Punjab
56 Stoke Newington Church Street. London N16 0NB.
+44 020 7249 1340. Specialized in the Keral food (South of India). I
a memorable Tamarind Rice. I was there with John Fox.
- Rules, 35 Maiden Lane. Covent Garden. London WC2E. Tel
+ 44 1718365314. Tradition. Game. London's oldest restaurant. Game
bids, fish, puddings. A must. Make your reservation. Rules
- SohoSoho, 11-13 Frith St., Soho. London W1. Tel + 44
0171 494 3491. Cafe-bar and restaurant. Stylish and very interesting.
It is another nice contribution by P. Burrell.
- Tas, 33 The Cut, Waterloo. London SE1 8FL. + 44
0207928 1444. Turkish and Mediterranean food. Live Music. They also
have menu. I tried the ASLAN. Humus is a must. TAS. Last Visit 2005
- Thai Pot,
1 Bedforbury. Covent Garden. London WC2N
4BP. Tel +44 1713794580. They have a starter the Thai Pot Selection.
Curries are good: Try gang ped (red curry) beef or chicken,
with red chillis in coconut milk and bamboo shoots, lime and basil
leaves. It is a nice contribution by P. Burrell. Julian Padget
- El Coyote Cafe, 7312 Beverly Boulevard. 90036 Los
Angeles, CA. Tel + 1 213 9392255. Mexican cuisine. Opened in 1931. Nice
environment for cocktails and very reasonable mexican food. I was there
with Salomon Oldak.
- Guelaguetza. I was there with Salomon
- Mariasol. Mexican cuisine.
- The Cheesecake Factory,
4142 Via Marina. 90292,
Marina del Rey , CA . Tel + 1 310 3063344. Big salads and cakes. Make
- The Fabiolus Cafe,
6270 Sunset Blvd. 90028
Hollywood, CA. Tel + 1 323 4672883. A nice and small Italian not
expensive with a lot of flavour. Good for an intimate dinner. Visit
their fabiolus web page
25 State Street, Santa
Barbara. Tel. + 1 805 9623313. A Pacific Fish House. Very interesiting
place. I really liked the mesquite broiler. The Sourdough Tuna Melt is
interesting. I recommend the Ahi Tuna. Pay special attention to the
day's catch. Nice cocktails. Visisted in 2003.
Milliways is, of course, better known
as the Restaurant at the End of the Universe. Max Quordlepleen is your
host for an evening of fine food, fine wine, and a floorshow featuring
the universe as we know it boiling away into the cosmic void. The
Restaurant has some of the most staggeringly extravagant decor ever
seen, a variety of the strangest guests from throughout history, and
serves a particularly fine PanGalactic Gargle Blaster. Despite the
staggering expense of eating there, it remains popular with everyone
from disciples of the Great Prophet Zarquon to dead Rock stars.We
recomend the steak.